“Catastrophic Failure” on deleting a BackupExec Backup to Disk Volume
Recently ran into an issue which required me to remove and re-add the Backup to Disk location within Backup Exec. However when I tried to remove the location Backup Exec popped up with “catastrophic error”.
- Download and install the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Management tools (found here).
- Go to Backup Exec – Configuration and Settings – Backup Exec Services -Stop all services, or, stop all the services from the Services.msc console
- Stop the SQL Server Servoce
- Go to the C:\Program Files\Symantec (or Veritas)\Backup Exec\Data folder and take a copy of the .mdb and .mdf files.
- Open SQL Management Studio 2012
- Connect to Backup Exec Server, then choose “Databases” – “BEDB” (or name of database) – “Tables” – “dbo.device” and choose “Edit first 200 rows”.
- Find the device with the issue (typically use the device name).
- Delete the row.
- Go back into Backup Exec and start all services.
- Go to the Storage tab and re-add the backup to disk location.
That should do the trick. Thanks to “munetadmin” on vox.veritas.com.